background

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Childhood Memory

An old friend recently came back to me: a mohair elephant that all of my siblings and I played with at one time or another. My sister, being the oldest, claimed it when she had her own kids, but neither of her kids had any interest in the poor, shabby thing and it languished in storage for almost two decades. I can't say I blame my nephew and niece for not wanting to play with it; by the time we were done with it the elephant had a broken trunk- the end of which was almost completely worn off- and had lost both of its tusks and one eye.

I have actually been itching to restore this toy for years, so you can imagine my delight when it was given to me (actually my sister offered it to one of my brothers, and when he didn't want it she said she was going to give it to charity and I snatched it).

Here are some "before" pictures:


 Here you can see the one remaining eye and the sad state of the trunk.



The holes from the lost eye and one of the tusks.


The mouth is torn at the corner and the hole where the other tusk should be is visible.


Over the years the wool felt at the bottom of the feet was eaten away in places.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

No comments: