background

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cat Bed

To those of you who don't know there's been a new feline addition to our house, a female grey tabby kitten. She's been taking up a surprising amount of my time and head space since she came home from the no-kill shelter where I volunteer (Mosaic Feline Refuge- a truly wonderful place for cats!) a couple of months ago. To keep my boys (our two cats that have been family member for just under 3 years now) from feeling neglected I've been making them things. One got a hand-knitted mohair blanket to sit on top of the down comforter on "his" chair (he has wisely claimed the soft cushioned chair in the laundry room as his winder roost- it's next to a window, the cat door, and a heat vent, and is in the warmest room in the house), and the other is getting a felted cat bed.


I started by wet-felting dark brown wool (grown locally) over an inflatable beach ball. After it was felted I realized that the wool wasn't thick enough, so I had to add another layer and felt it again. I'm pretty pleased the way it turned out, though.

I'll be adding several more steps to this and keep you posted as I go...

No comments: