background

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Snow

I was lucky enough to find an 100% cashmere sweater that some poor soul had felted in their washing machine and thought that it would be perfect for a snowman pillow! I've always had a weakness for vintage snowman images, and I wanted to do a modern take on one.




I made its face out of 100% wool felt pieces, giving it coal eyes and a tangerine nose.



Then I knitted a little fringed scarf for it- the yarn is a wool/mohair blend. I though that the muted turquoise color went very well with the orange nose.



Because the cashmere still had a lot of give to it even after it was felted, the pillow grew a bit as I stuffed it, but I'm very happy with the size. It's large enough to use as a real pillow (rather than some tiny decorative item), but still small enough not to take over your couch.



The whole thing is handmade (sewn and knitted by hand) and it's for sale in my Etsy shop if anyone's interested:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92194472/snowman-felted-cashmere-pillow



No comments: