background

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Placemats For my Sister

My sister has a collection of holly-shaped dishes that she brings out for Christmas. She really loves these dishes, so I decided to make her a set of quilted holly leaf placemats and two bunches of holly leaves; one for the center of the table and one for the sideboard. I picked out one holly-patterned fabric, two shades of green that were in the printed fabric, and red that also matched the red in the holly fabric (all are cotton broadcloth).  I then drew two slightly different holly leaf patterns out of big sheets of paper. After tracing the pattern onto the backs of the fabric and onto fusible fleece, I fused the fleece to the back sides of the top fabric.


I then sewed the fabrics together, turned, and quilted them to resemble the veins in leaves. After they were sewn I added yo-yo red "berries" near the stem of each leaf and the center of the two bunches of leaves.



My big score was finding the double-bowl (pictured above) in my sister's holly pattern in a thrift store a week or so before Christmas.

No comments: