background

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Early Spring Projects


I've been wrestling with the end of winter/early spring "blehs" a bit lately, so I took a break from making new patterns and animals for my Etsy shop (some of which will be featured in another blog post soon!) to make some stuff just for the fun of it.

The first project is a little fox doll. One of my good friends gave me a burnt orange felted sweater, so how could I resist making a little doll out of one of the sleeves? I felted white roving on the end of her tail and black roving on the end of her long nose, then sewed on stacked buttons for her eyes. After she was finished, I made a cute patterned cotton shirt with working buttons and a lace collar for her. 


To finish her outfit I made a heavy cotton jumper with a soft satin ribbon waist and shoulder straps. This also comes off by slipping over her head. She measures about 12 inches tall and I'm quite happy with the way she turned out!


Also:

Earlier this week I found a great deal on a blu-ray player and I wanted to have it sit under my TV. This hadn't been an issue in the past, because my TV has a build-in DVD player, but it stopped working (it's honestly not a very good TV, but it works!). My TV is not very large so I figured I could make my own stand for it with a minimum of trouble. I just happened to have a piece of plywood that was the perfect size (how cool is that?) for the top, so all I had to do was dig around my collection of "cool wooden objects" to find something for the legs of the stand. I lucked out once again by finding four tassel forms!

For my first step I attached the legs to the top:



Here's a detail of the tassel form legs:

Then after choosing my palette, I painted the top and legs:



Here are the legs and bottom:



And: TA-DA! Here it is at work in my studio:


No comments: